Monday 9 June 2014

Mad Lists: Top 5 Movie Themes that AREN'T the main theme

Well, here is my first edition of Mad Lists as I will be using this to make countdowns of favourite things and least favourite things and such... With that, I give you the Top 5 movie themes that are not the main theme of the movie. Some movies are known for their main themes, as are the 5 movies mentioned on this list, but within their soundtrack lies another awesome piece of music that matches the main theme's quality, and in some cases surpasses it... Enough of the bullshit, let's get on with this, shall we?


5. Freedom Isn't Free (Team America)

Composer: Harry Gregson Williams

No explanation needed... Just give your $1.05, shut up, and move on




4. Why So Serious? (The Dark Knight)

Composer: Hans Zimmer

This one brings me back to when I saw The Dark Knight in theatres for the first time. Hearing that slow, haunting string build-up as the bat symbol comes out of the blue fire really lets you know what you're going to be in for. Hans Zimmer did a wonderful job capturing the essence of the Joker with this theme. I just love how this piece of music is just as chaotic and unpredictable as the character it was composed for...



3. T-1000 theme (Escape From the Hospital) (Terminator 2: Judgment Day)

Composer: Brad Fiedel

Just like the #4 entry on this list, this theme represents its film's respective villain perfectly. How awesome is it to hear "bwoaaammm" every time the T-1000 appears on screen? And how breathtaking is it to hear this theme go berserk when he starts chasing John Connor on his dirtbike (Dat percussion)? Brad Fiedel is an underrated composer, and this piece of work is fantastic!




2. Imperial March (Star Wars)

Composer: John Williams

I'm sure that, when you saw the title of this list, that you thought this would be at number 1, and I'm sure you're pissed that it's not number 1. Hey, it doesn't mean I don't think this piece is awesome, because it is! Reminiscent of Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries", the Imperial March beautifully represents the Galactic Empire in all it's evil goodness. Who can ever forget hearing this theme as the Superstar Destroyer casts a shadow over all the Star Destroyers? It's an amazing tune, and might I say that it's John Williams's finest composition. But number 1 on my list? Nope, pretty damn close though...

 

1. The Ecstasy of Gold (The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly)

Composer: Ennio Morricone

This is... just epicness piled onto a giant pile of epic. This is not only my favourite non-main theme, this is my personal favourite piece of movie music ever! This singlehandedly made Tuco's run through a cemetery the most epic thing in the world. That's how beautiful this piece is, it can make anything you do sound amazing. Just try listening to this tune when you're doing any mundane task, like taking out the trash or walking to 711 and buying a slurpee, it'll make you feel like you're taking on an army all by yourself! I love Ennio Morricone and I think this is his finest piece of music, and that's saying a lot! You're bloodless if this tune doesn't give you shivers...



I know plenty of Metallica fans are happy with my selection, and I know plenty of Star Wars fans will be pissed... But hey, it's only my measly opinion, but tell me what you think in the comments below. Be nice... Or mean, I don't give a fuck...

- Mad Mike of Metal

PS. Stay tuned in the next few hours as I will be reviewing a teen classic!

No comments:

Post a Comment